Friday, March 6, 2009

Help!!! Any Advice?

So my girls are coming up on there 1st birthday. It's a huge milestone and a lot of things change at a year like switching to cow's milk. So this is my dilemma, about 5 times this year I have trying to get them to take anything but the breast. I've tried every different bottle nipple, every kind of sippy cup, a plain cup, a straw, every kind of juice, formula, pumped breast milk, strawberry milk, and yes, even tried chocolate milk. Nothing!!! Absolutely nothing!!!
I finally called the nurse to ask what she thought I should do. She told me just to keep feeding them food but don't give them the breast. Oh and the best part is when she said, "That is why the doctor always says to give your baby a bottle at least once a day because when they become older it is a lot harder to get them to take anything." Oh really! I guess the doctor forgot to mention that one!
After I talked to the nurse I decided I would feed them the breast in the morning and at night and if they got hungry in the day I would just feed them baby food and keep offering the cup, bottle, or sippy cup. It's been two days now and nothing. They just keep holding out for the night time feeding. They have to be thirsty in the day wouldn't they? Now what? Do I just quit feeding them the breast all together until they are so thirsty? Do I wait a few more days? They are cranky and crying a lot, I will take any advice any one has for me. You would think that at least one of my girls would give in. Nope! Not one!
What do I do?

1 comments:

preitygirl said...

I definately dont have all of the answers but my doctor told me with Crew (he wouldn't take the bottle either after ryan died) that he would eat when he was hungry! It worked! I had to be really strict but it worked! I assume if you get rid of the breast all together they will eventually take a bottle with chocolate milk or juice! They wont starve to death or go dehydrated, babies just wont! Good luck!1