Friday, December 19, 2008

Let her? Let her not?

My sweet little Addy! What to do? It's official, Addison is a definite thumb sucker. I've asked about 20 different people what to do with my situation. Almost all of them have been mothers of a thumb sucker, or have been a thumb sucker themselves. Do I let her suck her thumb? Or do I do every thing in my power to stop the sucking? They all had different but strong opinions on this subject. So after all that talking and conversing, I'm still conflicted.
I decided for myself that I wasn't going to let her suck her thumb. Let's just say it hasn't worked out like I thought. At first, every time Addy would suck her thumb I would pull it out, but right from the get go she would cry about it. Well when you have another baby with needs, and a three year old with needs, the last thing I want is another baby always crying because I'm pulling her thumb out of her mouth. In my defense she has been such a happier baby since she has discovered the thumb. Anyone who knows Addy knows that she has been a tough little cookie these past 9 months. So when she finds something to finally sooth and comfort her it is soooo hard to take it away. She won't take a bottle or a binki. She doesn't have a favorite blanket, or stuff animal. She has nothing but her tiny little thumb. Trust me I know what will come if I keep letting her suck her thumb, bad teeth, years of sucking, people making fun of her, etc...
So is it laziness on my part? Is it that I just want little less crying in my house? Or is it that I just want something for Addy to make her a happier baby? I believe it's probably all three.
I value my doctor opinion so I decided in a little over a week when I go to see my doctor I will take his advice and try what ever he tells me to do. So wish me luck!

4 comments:

Angela said...

I know mother's with thumb suckers will probably disagree with me, but is it really that big a deal?

I look at it this way, there are so many other issues that I would be way more concerned about. Addy isn't the first child to ever suck her thumb too which can give you some comfort.

Alayna doesn't want anything but to nurse when she is tired or fussy (which makes waking up in the middle of the night so hard for me...yes even at 9 months). I wish Alayna would take something other than me!

I don't know what your doctor will say, but I don't think the thumb in the mouth is too terrible. Who knows, maybe Addy won't like it in a few months.

Good luck, and we should get together for lunch while I am out in Utah!

Amy said...

Jaelynn sucked on two fingers until she was a little over two. That is when she went to the dentist and he showed us what it had done. So Brandon told her she couldn't do it anymore. She cried for about 5 min then she was done with sucking them. When she was younger I bought that nail stuff to put on her but never had the heart to put it on her. All though it has caused many problems that will need to be fixed down the road I wouldn't have changed the fact that I didn't try to stop her earlier. She needed something to comfort her when cuddling her wasn't enough. Everyone is different and are in different situations. I can't imagine having twins. Good luck and feel good about which ever way you decide.

preitygirl said...

I agree with the comments.. It may cause a few problems down the line but it does comfort her and make her a happier baby and there is nothing wrong with that! There is also nothing wrong with you wanting less crying in the house!! Anything that will keep your sanity is worth it! Its nothing that a dentist cant fix anyway! I know for all of us it is easier said than done because it is not me but like and said.. Is it really that big of deal? She could have a lot worse habits! I think that you are doing a great job.. just follow your heart and your mom intuition!

Heidi said...

I have two kids who have huge oral habits. . .Hadlie just turned 4 and still sucks two of her fingers. In fact, she was born with a blood blister on one of the fingers she sucked because of sucking them in utero. We have tried everything short of cutting her fingers off to get her to stop. She has gotten to the point where she will only suck them at night in her sleep. At the first of the year we will be paying $350 to have a habit appliance put into her mouth to hopefully help her stop. If not, we will be paying thousands later in orthodontics to fix her overbite and crossbite that all came from sucking her fingers.

Landon is a thumb sucker and has been from day one. He is just as stubborn as his sister and will also have an appliance put in his mouth if within the next year we can not get him to stop.

I know this brought my kids comfort and happiness it has been a HUGE pain in the butt to get them to stop.

I think if it is more important for your Addy to be happy and comfortable vs the pain of breaking the habit, then let her do it!

The good part is most teeth in little kids will correct themselves when they break the habit.

Good Luck!!